August is a fantastic time to be in Greece, the weather is great, spirits are high, and Athens begins to empty out. Emilio got to enjoy his first summer holiday in a very long time, we got to explore new places and enjoy time with lots of friends and family.
August is a very quiet month in Athens and many gyms take advantage of this and close for a couple of weeks. Emilio had two weeks off work and so during this time we decided to focus on mobility and more gentle exercise, we did many hikes, we swam, and we did some gentle yoga. It was a fantastic way to let both our bodies and our minds recover and rest from months of hard training. We have been doing a lot of hiking lately and thoroughly enjoying it. It is a great way to get out and explore your surroundings, that is both challenging and relaxing at the same time.
We also put a lot of focus on handstand training for our workshop with Patmos Warriors. The beach is a great place to practice so we had a huge playground to explore!
Food Glorious Food
I revisited a recipe that I made a long time ago and will certainly be making more of! It is delicious as a starter or as a light meal on its own.
Mushroom Quinoa Wraps
- 8 butter lettuce leaves (small-ish ones)
- ¼ cup peeled cucumber strips
- ¼ cup peeled carrot strips
- ¼ cup crushed peanuts
- serve with extra lime wedges
Mushrooms & Quinoa Filling
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 2 cups chopped mushrooms, mix of shiitake & cremini or whatever you like
- 1-2 teaspoons soy sauce or tamari
- a squeeze of lime
- a splash of rice vinegar
- 1 cup cooked quinoa
- ¼ cup spring onions
Peanut Tofu Sauce
- ¼ cup smooth peanut butter
- 5 ounces silken tofu (soft or firm)
- 1 teaspoon soy sauce or tamari
- 1 small clove of garlic, minced
- splash of sriracha
- splash of rice vinegar
- Mushrooms & Quinoa Filling: Heat oil in a medium skillet over medium heat. Add mushrooms, and 1 teaspoon of soy sauce. Let them cook down, stirring occasionally, about 5-8 minutes. Add a good squeeze of lime juice. Stir in the quinoa. Add another splash of soy sauce and a slash of rice vinegar (about 1 teaspoon each). Remove from heat and stir in ¼ cup spring onions. Taste and adjust seasonings.
- Peanut Tofu Sauce: Blend all ingredients together in a small food processor. Taste and adjust seasonings.
- Assemble everything separately on a platter & assemble as you eat.
Ikaria – exploring the island of longevity
We spent three and a half days in Ikaria and tried to explore as much as we could! It was a truly amazing trip! Here are some highlights:
· Seychelles beach – climbing down to this other worldly beach and playing on the rocks.
· Lunch in a beautiful little taverna in micro Livadi, followed by a little walk down to the beach below where we were totally alone.
· Surfing in Messakti beach! Emilio and I finally got to give surfing a go and fell in love with it instantly! Watch this space!
· Hiking from Therma to Nealia and climbing down the rocks to jump into the sea.
· Therma! Floating around the natural thermal baths
Patmos – the place I call home
My family have had a house on Patmos since before I was born. It is truly the place I feel at home. Getting to share this with Emilio makes it even more special! We got to spend time with old friends, Emilio got to meet everyone there, my family came over, and we even squeezed in some great boat trips. Some more highlights!
· Acro Yoga on the beach and doing handstands everywhere
· Getting to spend time with my sister
· Wakeboarding with our friends on Kampos beach
· Boat trips to amazing locations followed by lazy lunches on the beach
· Our collection of kitties that we were feeding every day
· Switching off, forgetting the time, the date and possibly even the year!
Other Fun Stuff
· Emilio went to Rieti for a weekend at the beginning of the month to visit friends and to watch the European Wakeboard Championships
· Doing a WOD with the Patmos Warriors for the first time! We love this little gym!
· Trained some friends at their beautiful house in Patmos
· Ate loads of mini ice creams – all the bakeries on the Greek islands make teeny tiny magnums!
· Watched a traditional Greek dancing show at a friends birthday party