July has been a month of serious extremes in Greece. The country has suffered terrible devastation caused by wild fires, the death toll is still rising, and Athens is in mourning. Shortly after these terrible fires flash floods caused destruction on the streets in the northern suburbs. We have been seeking out the best ways to offer help and will keep you posted. Prior to these disasters, July was a busy month, with a lot of work, new projects, and even a quick trip to Italy!
Workout of the month
Emilio took his first bodyweight class at Myrto’s beautiful studio this month, and we actually tested out this spicy little workout earlier in the month, so I wanted to share it with everyone here!
The above is the advanced version
For Intermediate – perform planks for 30 seconds and take the remaining 30 seconds as a break
For Beginners – Do not do the planks, take a 1-minute break in between rounds
For Complete Beginners – no planks, and start from 40 reps
Food Glorious Food
Big bag of kale – remove stems, clean leaves
Sweet Potato – cubed and roasted (220 degrees for 24 minutes with a drizzle of olive oil, chilli and oregano)
Avocado – cut into cubes
Cherry Tomatoes – a handful chopped in half
Cucumber – diced
Toasted sunflower seeds
Prepare all of the above ingredients.
Choose a bowl for your salad and prepare the dressing in the bottom:
3-4 tbsp Olive Oil
Juice of half a lemon
Juice of quarter of an orange
3-4 tbsp of tahini
Mix the above ingredients in a bowl and place the kale into the bowl and massage the dressing in. Yes, you heard me, massage it in! This is imperative to soften the kale a little. If you have the time I would actually recommend doing this a couple of hours before you eat. Then add all of the other ingredients. This is delicious on its own or accompanied by some white cheese.
We went to Italy for 4 days to celebrate a good friend’s wedding in Bologna and we managed to squeeze a lot into the trip:
· One of the many things that Emilio and I bonded about was cars. So, in June, for Emilio's birthday, I gave him a couple of test rides in Ferrari's in the hometown of the Prancing Horse, Maranello, which happens to be very close to Maranello. I even got to be a passenger in one of the cars which was an amazing experience (definitely something I could get used to!!!).
· Krilly ˂3 We got to watch two very good friends of mine get married in a really beautiful ceremony in Bologna. It was an absolutely amazing day. We all laughed, cried and danced until our feet hurt. Emilio also had the chance to meet a lot of my oldest and dearest friends who I had not seen for quite some time.
· Lago del Salto – following the wedding we took a train down to Rome to go and visit CNVS wakeboard school where Emilio worked for 3 years before I met him and where he met a lot of his best friends. I had only been once before in November so had never had the opportunity to meet the majority of his friends. This is an absolutely stunning place and I am so incredibly happy I finally got to see it. We even managed to squeeze in a wake surf and a wakeboard! 😊
Other fun things
· We have done lots of hiking this month. The more we do the more we love it. Despite the heat we have found some amazing trails.
· We had our last yoga session with Savvas before the summer which was as always amazing. This truly is a highlight of our week.
· Training on top of the Kalimarmaro – the first Olympic stadium with insane views on the Acropolis
· Getting a chance to see so many of our friends this month – we have mentioned this before but we both have all of our friends scattered around the globe which can be hard at times, but it is so incredible when we get to see them! 😊