June has been an exciting month for us. There has been a lot of work, and a lot of adventure to balance it all out! We managed to squeeze in some great weekend trips, organize a fantastic event and get out and explore nature a bit more!
We have been doing a lot of yoga and I am still struggling a lot with handstands, it is largely a confidence thing. So, I have asked Emilio to design me a thirty-day handstand challenge! We are going to document this on the blog and share it with you guys!
As summer is in full swing over here we have been trying to get outdoors as much as possible, so every time we are on the beach we tend to play around a bit, working on gymnastics movements and even some yoga!
· A couple of weeks ago we had a fantastic event at the Lake Watersports Club with some clients from Fitness Art. One of our goals in Greece is to promote the sport of wakeboarding a little more. Emilio has years of coaching experience under his belt that he can’t wait to share with everyone here!
· We were lucky enough to wakeboard in my favourite place on the planet this month: Patmos! This was the first time that Emilio had a chance to ride with Andreas in Kampos and it was amazing!
· We rode with the guys at Shark Watersports in Varkiza a couple of times this month. They have a great spot that is very close to Athens.
· We got a chance to wakeboard in Nafplio too this past weekend, it was a little bit rough out there, but it is a good chance to train in a different way when the water is not perfect. It used to terrify me, but now with Emilio’s help I work on confidence building drills when it is too rough.
Food Glorious Food
We have been experimenting with sweets this month and trying to find more things to make with our ever-growing collection of browning bananas! Our two favourite recipes of the month:
· Vegan Paleo Banana Muffins – these are slightly different to my normal banana muffins (and they are vegan), I added some pecans, raisins and some maple hemp seeds. These don’t have any added sweetener and really don’t need it! I added chocolate chips to half of the bunch that I made.
· Berry Oat Pancakes
100g rolled oats
1 tsp baking powder
2 mashed bananas
150ml of any milk of your choice (I always use almond)
250g frozen berries
Mix the bananas, eggs and milk together, then add the oats and baking powder. Finally add the frozen berries to the mixture.
Heat a non-stick pan on medium heat, add a little oil or coconut oil. Drop large spoonfuls of the batter onto the pan and cook through.
Serve with sliced bananas and a drizzle of honey or maple syrup!
· Patmos – Emilio and I were lucky enough to escape the real world for two days and head to Patmos. This small Dodecanese island is where I have spent every summer of my life, I have made life long friends from here, and I have millions of memories. This is a very special place, sharing it with Emilio makes it even better. We managed to squeeze a lot in to a little time! We wakeboarded, ate amazing food, hung out with great friends, did a workout on the beach and even managed lunch on a nearby island!!
· Epidavros and Nafplio – For a couple of years now I have been wanting to join Pan Expeditions for one of their kayak tours. Set up and run by a friend of ours and his lovely lady, it truly lived up to all expectations! We chose to join the Ancient Sunken City tour which takes your around the port of Old Epidavros, past the Ancient Sunken City, to an Eco-Farm for some olive tasting, and finally to a beautiful secluded beach! We loved every minute of it and can’t wait to join them for more tours!! From Epidavros we drove to Nafplio for the night, this has to be one of our favourite towns in Greece.
Other Fun Things
· Emilio’s surprise birthday dinner – particularly the look on his face when the waiter at the restaurant sat us down at a table for 8!
· Boat trip from Patmos to Lipsi with Andreas on his crazy but amazing ski boat with a huuuuge engine!
· Seeing Animal Collective at the Nostos Summer Festival in the Stavros Niarchos Foundation Cultural Centre
· Hiking in Pentelis
· Lunch in the amazing Farmamoo, playing with all the animals!
· Having a little snooze on the beach in Epidavros before kayaking back to base.