As always March has been another whirlwind of a month, Emilio’s mother came to stay, and we got to enjoy Athens as tourists again, I got spoilt rotten on my birthday and we both ended the month travelling! Unfortunately to different locations, but we both got to see our families which is always amazing!
This month I wanted to share a workout I did with CrossFit Winter Park. This is a great gym in Florida owned by competitive CrossFit athlete Stephanie Nickitas. She writes all the programming herself and is extremely creative and focused on establishing an extremely well-rounded workout for her athletes. Every day she includes a set warm up, strength drills, workout and then a cool down.
200m Run then 3rds of:
6 Single Leg Romanian Dead Lifts with 2 KBs
6 High Box Step-ups
6 Ring Row
15 sets of Deadlift x 1 @70%
EMOM x 6
3-5 Strict Pull-ups + 5 Box Jumps (24/20)
Workout of the Day
12 Alternating Dumbbell Snatch
6 Front Squat
Food Glorious Food
Roasted Veg and Chickpea Freekeh Fiesta with a tomato sauce
1 Large Onion
2 Red Peppers
2 Green Peppers (I used the longer pale green peppers)
4 Garlic Cloves (feel free to add more)
1 Can of Chickpeas
A Healthy Douse of Olive Oil
Salt, Pepper, and lots of Zaatar (or Oregano, or an Italian Herb Mix)
Dice all the vegetables, cover in oil and season. Roast for 45-50 minutes at 190C
Handful of Cherry Tomatoes Halved
½ an Onion
A Jar of Peeled Tomatoes
Salt, Pepper and Oregano
A Dash of Agave or Honey
Dice the onion and brown it. Then add the cherry tomatoes, soften them before adding the jarred tomatoes. Season and let the sauce thicken and simmer for about 20-25 minutes.
Serve with Freekeh, Cous cous or Quinoa would work too! We also made some Feta Psiti on the side!
For those of you with a sweet tooth, I wanted to share the recipe for the delicious cake that Emilio made me for my birthday!
Being Tourists in Athens!
It is always fun playing the tourist in your own city, particularly as we haven’t been in Athens for very long and we keep discovering new things! Highlights of Emilio’s mothers trip include:
· We went for an amazing walk from our place to the Kalimarmaro Panathenaic Stadium (site of the first modern Olympics). I always love visiting here, it is beautiful and has a fun little museum inside showcasing all of the past Olympic torches!
· The next stop on our walk was a coffee in Kolonaki before walking up the Lycabettus Hill. This is an amazing walk and one of the best views in Athens! Standing 277 meters above sea level, Lycabettus Hill (sometimes spelt Lykavitos) is the highest point of Athens. We then took a nice stroll back down the hill to one of our favourite restaurants in Exarchia, Ama Lachei.
· We went to the sea for lunch! It isn’t really warm enough to swim properly just yet (although we did take our first dip of the year) but it is the perfect weather for taking a stroll on the beach and going to a nice fish taverna.
· Visiting the Acropolis!!
I was lucky enough to go and spend a couple of weeks in Florida, I got to catch up with lots of old friends, see my family, celebrate my sisters 30th, check out some really nice gyms and yoga studios, and wakeboard!
Emilio went to Chiavari to visit his family and spend some time with his younger siblings who were so incredibly happy to have him there!
Other fun Stuff
· Hopping in the sea for the first time since New Year’s Day!
· Waking up to find Emilio baking me a cake on my birthday <3
· Emilio organising a surprise birthday dinner for me.
· Going for a really nice walk to a monastery about 15-minute drive from home which boasts amazing views over the whole city!
· Wakeboard at O’town with Glen and Sandro from SNCN!
· Emilio got to meet his little sister Chiara for the first time!