Monthly Round Up: Outstanding October
I am very late with my monthly round up! October somehow disappeared! We held our first two retreats with our mother company Nefeli Nine, we hosted a wakeboard camp in Loutraki and we even managed to take a quick trip to Rome to visit some of Emilio’s family and best friends!
Strength work: Work up to 3 sets of 5 Front Squats – make sure that these are heavy but not too heavy, you want to be able to complete all 5 reps without a break. Challenge yourself without hurting yourself. For those of you who track your weights closely, aim for about 70% of your 1RM.
50-40-30-20-10 reps of Sit Ups
In between each round perform:
10 Wall Balls
30 Double Unders
Food Glorious Food
I was recently given some delicious dried apricots and fell in love with apricots all over again. I have since been trying to find as many ways as possible to use them! This is definitely one of my favourite recipes!
2 cups almond flour or almond meal
2 tablespoons coconut oil
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
1 tablespoon water
¼ teaspoon sea salt
1.5 cups dried apricots
3 cups boiling water
1 tbsp lemon juice
1 tbsp real maple syrup
3/4 cup walnuts
1/3 cup unsweetened shredded coconut
1 tsp cinnamon
2 tbsp coconut sugar
1/2 tbsp coconut oil
¼ tsp salt
Begin by making your filling. Set aside dried apricots in a medium sized bowl. Boil 3 cups water, and pour over dried apricots. Let sit for about 20 minutes. Now drain the water, and add apricots to your food processor or blender. Add in lemon juice, and maple syrup. Pulse until mostly smooth, a few chunks are fine. You may need to add a bit of water to get the right consistency, but the filling should be thick.
Now make the crust: Preheat your oven to 350 degrees. Line an 8x8 square pan with parchment paper and lightly grease. Combine all of the crust ingredients into a food processor and pulse until mixture is crumbly. Take mixture and carefully distribute over the parchment paper, pressing down firmly and evenly. Place inside the oven and bake for 13 minutes, or until lightly golden brown. Remove from oven and let cool for 20 minutes. Leave the oven hot.
While crust is cooling, make the crumb mixture. Combine all ingredients into your food processor and pulse for about 10 seconds, or until mixture is crumbly.
Once crust is cooled, spread the apricot filling over the crust. Complete by topping with the crumb mixture. Now bake for 15-18 minutes, or until top is golden brown.
Remove from oven and cool completely. Once cooled, slice into squares.
We went to Rome for a long weekend in mid-October to visit Emilio’s friends and family. We spent a couple of days outside of Rome at Lago del Salto at the wakeboard club where Emilio used to work. We had amazing weather and got to really enjoy this beautiful spot with some of Emilio’s closest friends.
· Wakeboarding on pure glass with friends, Emilio got to show them some tricks he has been working on.
· Watching friends ride! Both of us really miss the dynamic of being in the boat with friends.
· Attempting and completing my first 360 on a wakesurf!
· Eating chicken at Agriturismo La Ferrera 😊
· Spending time with Emilio’s mother and meeting a bunch of his cousins!
We held a one-day camp at The Lake Watersports Club in Limni Vouliagmenis Loutraki with four athletes. We are hoping to run these once a week for the month of November. We had an amazing day training some super passionate and driven kids. They are talented, hungry and willing to learn despite the slightly cooler and rougher water: every coaches dream! Updates coming soon!
Other Fun Stuff
· Nefeli Nine Retreats officially kicked off! These both went extremely well. I think I can safely speak for both of us when I say that they went exactly as we had wanted.
· During our second retreat we foraged some mushrooms and ate them for dinner!
· Yoga with Savvas, continuously making improvements and loving it!
· Enjoying beautiful hikes. We have both been driven to really include hiking as a part of our lifestyle
· Riding doubles with Emilio
· Attending the Greek Nationals Wakeboard Competition and seeing some good friends