January has come and gone in the blink of an eye! We are now officially in 2018! We have lots of big projects for the upcoming year and have started off the year by laying our foundations (and having some fun along the way!)
Unfortunately, I have been a little out of action lately due to a niggly little trapped nerve, which has meant that I have had to change up my workout routine a bit lately (article coming on this soon!). I have had to lay off weights, any jumping, and unfortunately CrossFit! But in it’s wake I have been doing a lot of yoga, Pilates and spinning! Not only have these led to a much faster recovery, but they have changed the way I want to train moving forward.
Funnily enough, Fitness Art (our CrossFit box and Emilio’s new work place!) organised an event this month to celebrate cutting the Vasilopita which involved 108 people doing 108 sun salutations! ( A Vasilopita is a traditional Greek New Year cake which contains a hidden coin which gives good luck to the receiver.) We were led by the fantastic yoga teacher Afroditi through all 108 sun salutations, which was phenomenal and phenomenally tiring! The atmosphere was incredible, and it really solidified the feeling of community in the gym.
Last year both Emilio signed up to compete in the Athens Throwdown. The three workouts for qualification were released mid-January and he had to send them (via video) by the end of the month. Fingers crossed!!!
WOD 1 (A+B)
Total Time Cap 9 minutes
4 Minute Time Cap
Clean & Jerk (60kg)
1 Minute Rest
4 Minute Time Cap
Clean & Jerk (40kg)
Time Cap 17 minutes
50-40-30-20-10 Double Unders
50-40-30-20-10 Wall Balls (6kg)
2-4-6-8-10 Pull Ups
6 Minute AMRAP
6 Snatches (40kg)
6 Burpees Over the Box
Food Glorious Food
With a new year we wanted to try a slightly new way of eating and have been trying to incorporate more vegetarian meals into our diet. This has been fun as we have both had to think slightly differently about preparing food. We are tying to have two out of three meals a day vegetarian. Greece is actually very conducive to this as it caters extremely well to vegetarian (and even vegan!) cuisine!
A couple of our favourite recipes:
· Chickpea Quinoa Salad – this salad is great on its own, or with some feta (and of course avocado!) on the side! This is a great recipe, however I much prefer to use spring onions!
· We have been on a vegetable roasting extravaganza! This roasted broccoli is amazing!
· Banana in the oven with almond butter and cinnamon! This is a pretty simple one, but it is absolutely delicious and super super simple! Cut a banana in half, fill it with almond butter and sprinkle some cinnamon, wrap it in foil and bake it for 15 minutes! Gooey, almond butter banana heaven!
We were lucky enough to start off our year with a sneaky weekend trip to Switzerland and managed to see so many people and do so many things in the space of 4 days!! Highlights included:
· We went over to celebrate a friend’s 30th birthday (much to her surprise!) her husband had organised a big surprise ski weekend with all her friends. It was so lovely to see everyone and to see Claire’s reaction! Ca touche…..ca touche pas! There was lots of cheese, lots of snow, lots of laughter and huge amounts of love!
· We were fortunate enough to see the Squad! We really miss these guys and it was amazing to have a couple of days with them.
· Trained at Fight Move Academy! We love this gym and it was great to see the whole team there!
· We were invited for a really amazing dinner by some great friends who introduced us to the wonderful world of Japanese fondue (shabu shabu).
Other Fun Stuff
· Visited lake Marathon which we had both heard a lot about but never seen! This is an impressive lake with a huge dam which provides most of Athens’ water supply. There is a coffee shop with spectacular views right on top of the dam.
· We found an amazing little fish tavern right on the beach and went for a walk on the beach which is always amazing in January! 😊
· We finally visited the Hellenic Motor Museum, home to an incredible collection of beautifully kept unique cars.
· Emilio has recently received some exciting news about work! More info coming soon! :)